With the Ray Rice incident causing a collective white knight orgasm today, the "1 in 5 women have been raped" lie has been popping up. It's been well debunked. But I would like to remind people here just to refresh.
Taken from the Wikipedia article on "Campus Rape". Direct citations to the relevant academic articles are included on the wikipedia page if you want to read the original studies/source material (or if you're a retard and concern-troll about "wikipedia").
In 1985, Mary Koss, a professor of psychology at Kent State University, conducted a national rape survey on college campuses in the United States, sponsored by the National Institute of Health...Out of the 3,187 undergraduate women Koss surveyed, 207, or 6%, had been raped within the past year. 15.4 percent of Koss' female respondents had been raped since age 14, an additional 12.1 percent of female respondents had experienced attempted rape since age 14...The combined figure for rape and attempted rape of women since age 14, 27.5 percent, became known as the "one in four" statistic.
According to Christina Hoff Sommers, the Koss study and the oft-quoted "one in four" statistic is based upon flawed data. One of the three questions used by Koss to calculate rape prevalence was, "Have you had sexual intercourse when you didn't want to because a man gave you alcohol or drugs?" According to Sommers and professor Neil Gilbert, this left the door open for anyone who regretted a sexual liaison to be counted as a rape victim, even if neither partner thought of the situation as abusive.
Other studies of the time, such as those by scholars Margaret Gordon and Linda George, found much lower measured rape prevalence, with their research simply asking women if they had been raped rather than asking behaviorally specific questions.....
In 1997, The National Institute of Justice (NIJ) and the United States Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) conducted the National College Women Sexual Victimization (NCWSV) survey...According to that survey, 1.7% of women had experienced a rape and another 1.1% had experienced an attempted rape.
The Bureau of Justice Statistics' "Violent Victimization of College Students" report tells a different and more plausible story about campus culture. During the years surveyed, 1995-2002, the DOJ found that there were six rapes or sexual assaults per thousand per year. Across the nation's four million female college students, that comes to about one victim in forty students. Other DOJ statistics show that the overall rape rate is in sharp decline: since 1995, the estimated rate of female rape or sexual assault victimizations has decreased by about 60 percent.
Bolstered by inflated statistics and alarmist depictions of campus culture, advocates have been successful in initiating policy changes designed to better protect victims of sexual violence....It is not clear that these policies have made campuses safer places for women, but they have certainly made them treacherous places for falsely accused men.
This isn't even accounting for the insane California college law just passed where you are literally a rapist if the woman doesn't declare out loud "Yes I consent to sexual relations with you!" (who are we kidding? Even with that, she can change her mind and you're still a rapist).
This is an op-ed (written by a female). It starts off by asking the reader to pretend the 20% lie is true. Can you literally imagine if literally 20% of women walking around a college campus like the University of Minnesota (60,000 undergrads) were raped?
This would dwarf even the most violent cities like Detroit (which had 38 rapes per 100,000 people). Can you imagine if ~7,500 college women walking around Minneapolis were raped? There'd be pandemonium. Bodyguards. Professional escorts/security. Martial law for christ's sake.
The White House claims that one in five female students has been victims of sexual assault or attempted sexual assault while at college. Such bogus statistics have been the mainstay of campus-rape-epidemic propaganda for years. They are generated by a variety of clever techniques, but the most important is this: The survey-taker, rather than the female respondent, decides whether the latter has been raped or not. When you ask the girls directly whether they view themselves as victims of rape, the answer overwhelmingly comes in: No.
So save this post. Post a few on your FB wall. Add other articles below. The 1 in 5 stat is BULLSHIT.