Lately, I've been seeing a lot of Feel Good Bullshit™ creeping into posts and comments around here. I'd like to take this opportunity to discuss what exactly Feel Good Bullshit is, why it is bad, and how to spot it for what it is.
What it is:
Feel Good Bullshit is any idea or concept that eschews painful realities for the warm and fuzzies. Often times, Feel Good Bullshit will contain bits of truth, but this does not change the fact that said truth is wrapped in a steaming turd of misinformation.
Common examples of Feel Good Bullshit in TRP:
"Alpha means a man who stands by what he believes!"
"Don't worry, you can be fat/skinny/poorly dressed and still get girls; you just have to own it!"
"You don't have to change who you are!"/"Just be yourself!"
Why it's bad:
Change is hard. It requires expenditure of energies both mental and physical over a period of months, if not years. Often times when I read things here that directly address my weaknesses, I feel a pang of unease. This, however, is a good thing. Discomfort is an agent of change and struggle is a sign of growth. That unease is my brain simultaneously saying "We need to get to work" and "Oh fuck, there's so much work to do." Remember, humans are more motivated by the avoidance of pain than the pursuit of pleasure.
What Feel Good Bullshit does is give you just enough truth so that you will accept the accompanying bullshit, which will in turn ease your unease and weaken your desire take action.
How the aforementioned Feel Good Bullshit examples sedate your desire to take action:
- "I can be alpha and get girls without changing my belief system!"
- "I don't need to lose weight/bulk up/dress better; I just have to be comfortable with myself!"
- "I don't have to do anything!"
How to spot it:
Remember the old addage: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."
The seductive allure of Feel Good Bullshit lies in the half-truth it contains. The above examples of Feel Good Bullshit aren't necessarily wrong, but they do not give you an accurate picture of reality.
- Some alphas are moral men, many others are ruthlessly machiavellian. Some alphas lead, other just don't follow rules. There are many violent criminals banging hotter chicks than 99% of the law abiding population.
- You can be a physical mess and still get girls, but the quality of those girls will not be so great. You may not even want to fuck the girls you can get in your current state.
- Who you are now has got you to where you are now. Is that someplace you want to be? It better be if you think you don't need to change.
In short, if you're new here and you read something that makes you think "Oh, fuck...", that's a red pill you need. If you read something that makes you think "Phew, maybe I don't need to ____", that's some Feel Good Bullshit.