“I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” – Michael Jordan
In the startup world, "Fail fast, fail cheap, fail often" is a commonly repeated mantra, and while it's not necessarily the key to success, it is certainly one component:
- Trying out ideas and failing is often much cheaper than gathering tons of research and data as to what will work.
- Trying and failing quickly will allow you to find a successful path faster than you competition, and startups rely on nimbleness to out-maneuver larger companies.
- Recognizing success and failure quickly is also an important skill. This will force you to define the criteria for success/failure so you can invest in the successes and cut off the failures.
- You will also be prepared for failure and have backup plans.
- This philosophy will get you used to being open to and trying many new ideas.
- This will also get you used to erring towards boldness and away from analysis-paralysis. It will help you conquer your fear of failure, and help you value your time.
All of these ideas are directly applicable to meeting women. By approaching often, trying different strategies, and finding a quick answer to "will you sleep with me?", you will experience much more success than reading tons of theory on the internet and attending PUA workshops. You will find strategies that work for your particular strengths and weaknesses and perhaps even discover universal truths that haven't been fully articulated by others yet.
Note that the blue-pill one-itis strategy is the exact opposite of this:
- Spending weeks/months chatting before first meeting.
- First date is a hour drive away, or even a plane trip across the country
- Spending months/years and tons of money trying to win her over
- Buying her gifts and going on expensive trips with her when she hasn't even slept with you yet
- Loaning her money and doing other time-intensive and costly favors for her
- Spending your valuable time being her therapist and confidant
- Not having a clear test as to whether she is attracted or not
- If you do win her over, not having a clear set of criteria as to whether the relationship is successful
- Sinking into a major month-long or year-long depression when it is clear that things won't work out. (not prepared for failure)
Compare this to a red pill strategy:
- Spending minimal time chatting, only enough to get to know her superficially and exchange details
- First meeting her somewhere inexpensive in your neighborhood at a place that you like to go to anyway
- Having a plan B in case she flakes (preparing for failure)
- Escalating quickly and always be willing to walk away if things go badly
- Knowing the red flags for a woman who might be a disaster
- Being clear and confident about your intentions, especially when you ask her to come back to your place (clear criteria for success)
- Having a time and money budget - how many dates before you should walk away
- If it doesn't work out, go to the next girls in your pipeline with whom you have already arranged meetings
TL;DR: approach many women quickly and cheaply with clear criteria for success/failure (including time/money criteria) and continue to invest only in the successes.
Edit: added Michael Jordan quote.